Click to enlarge
This site has seen major transformation over the last 131 years. Jones, Hill & Co. sash and door business was located on this corner in the 1885; according to the newspaper this building was burned in a fire in 1889. In 1891, R. Jacobson built a two-story structure to house his dry goods store. This property was demolished in 1905 to make way for a newly constructed building that would house the McMinnville National Bank. In 1967, this building was demolished to make room for a mid-century modern Key Bank and plaza that is still there today.
Today, we view this property as a loss for preservation but a major win for place making and community building. While the 1905 structure is no longer intact, US Bank plaza has become a warm and welcoming area for community members, merchants, and tourists alike. This space has become a pivotal part of the downtown area and is a great place to enjoy a concert, people watch or simply rest your feet.