Click to enlarge
1908: Constructed as the Elks Lodge
1912: Dry goods store, a statuary, a restaurant, a moving picture theater.
1927: Ed Kienle rented space from the Fenton’s on the first floor.
1950s: Rich's Appliance/TV
1953: W.O Johnson Maytag
1966: Cliff's TV Appliances/ OK Electric
1977: Audio Tronics McLeans Tv Sales & Service
1990s: Second floor renovation by Matt and Marilyn Worrix
2015: Currents Gallery / R. Stuart Wine Bar / Crescent Café / Mes Amies / Accessory Appeal
This building was constructed in 1908 for the McMinnville’s Elk Lodge. The top floor was occupied by the lodge rooms, and the lower floor had numerous small shops. In 1912, the first floor was divided into four sections; a dry goods store, a statuary, a restaurant, and the Gaiety Movie Theater. The ground floor has been altered.
Since the early 1930s, the second floor was a vacant space except for the 1960s, when the ballroom was used as a teen center. In 1993, the second floor was completely renovated by Matt and Marilyn Worrix and now houses 10,000 square feet of living space, including a ballroom. From 1908 to 1920, the basement of this building was a Chinese restaurant and housed many Chinese immigrants. Currently the basement is privately owned and many of the original artifacts from the Chinese families living and working there can still be found.
"The fact that most of the second story sat empty for sixty years created a unique opportunity to simply restore the property. It was like a time capsule. It did take a lot of work but there was so much to work with. We have always loved the Arts and Crafts style and the second floor is such a perfect example of that period." —Marilyn Worrix, building owner
Primary Significant Contributing: Structures are classified as Primary Significant if they were built in or before 1912, or reflect the building styles, traditions, or patterns of structures typically constructed before this date. These buildings represent the primary period of construction and development in downtown McMinnville from initial settlement in 1881 to 1912, when city improvements and use of the Oregon Electric and Southern Pacific Railroad service promoted new construction in the downtown area.