Click to enlarge
1926-1978- Old City Power Plant
1990- Panther Creek Cellars
2013- Present- Elizabeth Chambers Cellar
A rectangular brick one and one-half story building with a flat roof with a plain concrete cornice at the rooftop. The brick is common bond. There are one and one-half story high windows on all sides with 15 to 25 lights per window. At the southeast corner of the building the main entrance has three one and one-half story high semi-circular arched brick windows with fanlights.
The main entrance has plain entablature and double hung doors with full-length glass. On the north side there are three equidistant wood doors with entablature work above each.
This building housed the diesel engines, which supplemented power production for the city between 1926 and 1978. The municipal electric operational center offices were housed here until the late 1980s before the building was converted into a winery and tasting room.
A major interior renovation was completed in 2014 when all of the windows that were once boarded and painted over were scraped clean and brought back to their original grandeur. Today this building houses Elizabeth Chambers Cellar Winery and Tasting Room. Stop in for a glass of wine and sit outside on their lush backyard patio.