Click to enlarge
1905: Built as Hotel Elberton
1905–1931: Hotel Elberton
1932–1967: Hotel Oregon
1968–1975: Western Union Bus Depot
1977–1998: Various business
1999-–Present: McMenamins Hotel Oregon
The tallest building in downtown McMinnville, Hotel Elberton is a rectangular four-story brick building. The ground floor has been altered on both façades. A small neon sign at the top of the southwest corner of the building reads “Hotel Oregon”.
Originally built with just two floors, Hotel Elberton was constructed in 1905 for $15,000 by local developers Fenton & Link. It was the most elegant hotel in town at the time with 26 rooms, a barbershop, a cigar store and ladies' parlor. Lodging was priced between $.75 and $1.00 per day.
Hotel Elberton was managed by Thomas A. White and immediately became a popular meeting place for McMinnville residents and visitors.
The third and fourth floors were added in 1912 but not finished on the interior. The main lobby served for several years as a bus depot.
In 1932, with the addition of an elevator came a name change to the Hotel Oregon which was in business until 1967. Various businesses occupied space in this building throughout the next two decades but the property value continued to decline. By 1976, the estimated value of the building was $40,000 which would be about $170,000 today. In 1999, the property was renovated and reopened to its original glory as McMenamins Hotel Oregon, the largest historic hotel building in Yamhill County. Be sure to check out the rooftop restaurant to experience one of the best views in downtown McMinnville.
Primary Significant Contributing: Structures are classified as Primary Significant if they were built in or before 1912, or reflect the building styles, traditions, or patterns of structures typically constructed before this date. These buildings represent the primary period of construction and development in downtown McMinnville from initial settlement in 1881 to 1912, when city improvements and use of the Oregon Electric and Southern Pacific Railroad service promoted new construction in the downtown area.